Skip to main content

I don't want to be a hypocrite anymore

I've been sitting at my desk staring at this blank screen for the last 15 minutes because I don't know what to write about. A quick google search of day-to-day environmental issues and it begins to hit me that I can't talk about any of this. Food wastage? Guilty. Long showers? Guilty. Overuse of electricity? Guilty. Driving instead of walking, using plastic bags at the grocery store, indulging in one-time use products, writing on dead forests instead of digitally? Well damn it. I simply cannot preach what I don't practice.

So instead, here's a sort of resolution that actually guilt trips me into doing something good for the environment:

According to the Evironmental Protection Agency we use OVER 1 TRILLION GALLONS OF WATER EACH YEAR JUST FOR SHOWERING. The EPA also tells us that the average showerhead wastes over 2 gallons per minute alone. So...you'd think the solution is pretty obvious. In India, I shower with a bucket and a pail, using only about a few gallons each day no matter how long it lasts. But honestly, I'm not willing to sacrifice a nice warm waterfall because that's really the only think that gets me to wake up in the morning. When I used to do gymnastics, I'd try taking cold showers that would never last nearly as long as a regular one. But that phase lasted less than a week. 


What often flaws our resolutions is how unrealistic they are. Saying that you're going to cut out plastic entirely from your life is just lying to yourself. My goal is to cut down my showers to about 4 minuteshalf the national average. I saw this tip on the internet to limit your shower to the duration of one song, and that actually sounds like a great strategy. Ridding yourself of a pleasure is one of the hardest things to do, no matter how obviously bad it is (hey that sounds like akrasia). With the help of music, I think this will motivate me to stick to this and form a healthy habit. If you're reading this, you should try too. It's a sacrifice of convenience, but who knows? 

It might just help you get to class on time and avoid being publically shamed :)

Comments

  1. I used to use the music thing and it's honestly helped me so much and I'm glad you're finding it helpful too! This was a great post from the connections to akrasia, your humorous style, the meme of Kermit! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a hypocrite Shorty. But I really like the points you made. They're so true. We always see things in the media that we should strive for but just look at them as a idealistic version of the life we could be living. Something is always better than nothing. I used to take really cold showers for a solid 6 months and then I stopped ironically in summer as well. I should really change my lifestyle to be more ecofriendly... I'll consider it :)
    At least you can say that your more eco friendly than a tall person...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Mr. Brown

Dear Mr. Brown,  My name is Arya Shah. I am seventeen years old, and a senior at Troy High School. I stumbled upon your poem, "Labor", initially out of reluctancy to check-the-box on what I thought was a labor intensive English assignment. However, I quickly became so engrossed into the poem and I forgot about the trivial work I was pulling my hair out for just a few minutes ago.  What I admire most about this poem is its ambiguity, and the unsettling atmosphere it leaves. While you begin ranting about "cuss[ing] cutting grass for women", and shift focus onto the women, I thought surely the poem would reveal a tender heart, or wholesome relationship with them that would romanticize the labor or at least blur its pain. But instead, it's so discomforting. Your force us readers to sit with the fact that "they're all dead" because it isn't only the labor that's painful, but also the love. I find that so hard to accept most times, and can't ...

You're Nothing Like Me

You're fat. Your flabby  little  not so little actually, stomach rolls over your sari's petticoat. Pathetic.  You're ugly. Your eye bags are stripping away your youthful happy-go-lucky femininity which was an era long gone as your stretch marks remind you.   You're naive. Your hands are shedding their skin, bruised and burned because the kitchen is now engraved into your body. It's these hands with which you sign your children's papers so they can go on field trips and become people of their own, hands with which I once used to forge my own parent's signatures because I wanted to control my "destiny"—always written by someone else.   You're unwanted. I believed in Bollywood movies. I believed in a romanticized future, where a language barrier in a foreign country would mean they would laugh at my cute accent. Instead, they just laugh at you. They insult you and you can't even understand them. Your mannerisms aren't quirky, they're d...

Cleanup On Aisle Seven!

I'd like to preface this blog by saying the following original poem is written in a style completely out of my comfort zone, so through my eyes as a poet, it appears a bit of a mess. But hey, "dissonance is a kind of sense" I guess.  Cleanup on aisle seven Where the neatly stacked pyramid of oranges has fallen Where people pass by Without giving a fly Spurting juice under their fashionably protected feet Now there’s a traffic jam on aisle seven Where someone bumps into a shelf of wine And when people point fingers at each others’ faults All that’s left to say is  It isn’t mine  So someone travels to aisle four And rips open a pack of paper towels to clean the floor  But the liquid has migrated far beyond control  Where now are also  Soggy unraveled rolls  Finally the janitor comes over But he slips and his head lowers  Now there’s blood everywhere  But who should care  To clean the aisles When the janitor is also the owner  I initia...