Skip to main content

Little Mother

I never had an Easy Bake oven, I'm brown. Instead I had a tiny rolling pin and board to make invisible rotis (Indian flatbread). I had a tiny kitchen with cute little pans and bowls. I even cleaned up after myself after "making a meal" just like my mom always does. She's the one who taught me how to use that rolling pin and the real one I use today. 

Almost every toy I've received since then from others outside my family have been exclusively "girly". Baby dolls, princess tiaras, a Victoria's secret purse from a most likely drunk aunty. My brother ALWAYS received a science-related item, because learning is for the boyz. From an extremely young age I was awakened to the unfairness of these so-called "gifts" and I threw tantrums over it. I'd thank the adult with that sort of devilish smile a kid makes when they're forced to be polite, and as soon as they left I'd be waiting for my brother to open his gift like a curious dog. I'm actually really glad I had a brother growing up, because I was able to have a variety of toys to play with. I'd play bakugan or beyblade toys with him, and he'd play dolls with me. We never segregated ourselves when it came to toys, and we most certainly never grew up with a mentality of placing restrictions around a gender. I'd walk in those daunting shopping aisles and ponder why I was engulfed in pink and glitter while my brother was across the room encased in blue walls. The creative and delicate toys always seemed to find their way in the girls section, while the boys had the strong and educational ones. 


Because I grew up in such an open community and a socially progressive family, these toys never really harmed me. In fact, today my brother cooks more than me. He does household chores, and is more organized than me. Even children like him better than me. His toys have taught him to be curious and competitive- what society wants every man to be. His experience of being an older sibling has taught him to be gentle and caring- what society wants every woman to be. That kitchen set may have been more fitting for him honestly, because he grew up to be the best of my mother more than I ever did. 

 





Comments

  1. Are all of your blogs this good??? Actually not fair ☹️ it's cheating
    Did your mom not give you small bits of dough to play with? I remember my mom giving a teaspoon sized piece of chapati dough that I would inevitably get stuck to the table...
    I really love how you didn't focus on the effects toys had on you but also how they effected your brother. You also seem like a devilish child, throwing fits all the time... it would explain a lot today Shorty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Mr. Brown

Dear Mr. Brown,  My name is Arya Shah. I am seventeen years old, and a senior at Troy High School. I stumbled upon your poem, "Labor", initially out of reluctancy to check-the-box on what I thought was a labor intensive English assignment. However, I quickly became so engrossed into the poem and I forgot about the trivial work I was pulling my hair out for just a few minutes ago.  What I admire most about this poem is its ambiguity, and the unsettling atmosphere it leaves. While you begin ranting about "cuss[ing] cutting grass for women", and shift focus onto the women, I thought surely the poem would reveal a tender heart, or wholesome relationship with them that would romanticize the labor or at least blur its pain. But instead, it's so discomforting. Your force us readers to sit with the fact that "they're all dead" because it isn't only the labor that's painful, but also the love. I find that so hard to accept most times, and can't ...

You're Nothing Like Me

You're fat. Your flabby  little  not so little actually, stomach rolls over your sari's petticoat. Pathetic.  You're ugly. Your eye bags are stripping away your youthful happy-go-lucky femininity which was an era long gone as your stretch marks remind you.   You're naive. Your hands are shedding their skin, bruised and burned because the kitchen is now engraved into your body. It's these hands with which you sign your children's papers so they can go on field trips and become people of their own, hands with which I once used to forge my own parent's signatures because I wanted to control my "destiny"—always written by someone else.   You're unwanted. I believed in Bollywood movies. I believed in a romanticized future, where a language barrier in a foreign country would mean they would laugh at my cute accent. Instead, they just laugh at you. They insult you and you can't even understand them. Your mannerisms aren't quirky, they're d...

Cleanup On Aisle Seven!

I'd like to preface this blog by saying the following original poem is written in a style completely out of my comfort zone, so through my eyes as a poet, it appears a bit of a mess. But hey, "dissonance is a kind of sense" I guess.  Cleanup on aisle seven Where the neatly stacked pyramid of oranges has fallen Where people pass by Without giving a fly Spurting juice under their fashionably protected feet Now there’s a traffic jam on aisle seven Where someone bumps into a shelf of wine And when people point fingers at each others’ faults All that’s left to say is  It isn’t mine  So someone travels to aisle four And rips open a pack of paper towels to clean the floor  But the liquid has migrated far beyond control  Where now are also  Soggy unraveled rolls  Finally the janitor comes over But he slips and his head lowers  Now there’s blood everywhere  But who should care  To clean the aisles When the janitor is also the owner  I initia...